Being healthy means having a healthy and well-balanced body weight according to your height & age. Now-a-days teens are facing immense weight & weight related issues which not only affects their physical health, but also greatly impacts their mental, emotional & social health specifically targeting their confidence & self-esteem.
Weight issues in children under 15 years of age are now growing worldwide. It has also led to the development of lifestyle diseases like diabetes, hypertension, fatty liver, obesity and much more. Children who are having the weight above their normal weight range face issues like body-shaming, bullying, insecurities, depression, etc.
Before worrying about your weight you must check your weight and BMI and consult a nutritionist/dietician for it. When your nutritionist/dietician confirms that you seriously need to work on your weight, make a serious attempt to resolve the problem strategically.
Here are some tips which can help a teen to lose and maintain their healthy weight –
- Set healthy & realistic goals for yourself
- Regulate your wake & sleep cycle
- Limit salt & sugar intake on daily
- Do not eat while watching TV or using mobile phones
- Do physical workout/exercise daily
- Plan a practically feasible meal & diet plan
- Consume more protein in your meals & limit carbs & fat intake.
- Consume ample amounts of water to meet healthy body needs & water & electrolyte loss during the day.
- Consume more vegetables & fruits
- Consume low GI foods in your diet
- Restrict the consumption of high sugar aerated beverages & energy drinks loaded with hidden sugars
- Consume healthy fats through nuts & seeds
- Do not use refined oils & flours for making
- Check your food portion in your meals every time you eat something.
- Do not keep long gaps in two meals, as it increases the demand of sugar & simple carbs consumption multifold.
- Do not compare your weight loss journey with others, be patient and & consistent for achieving your weight management goals.
- Keep a check on your hormonal status, particularly thyroid.
- Don’t follow crash diets & get misled with fad diets marketed in the health market everywhere.
- Don’t skip any meal as it will not support in your weight loss journey
- Ditch diet foods much available in market as they may contain hidden sugars & hollow calories
- Practice mindful eating practices
- Involve yourself in activities which help in reducing your stress like meditation, any leisure activity, gardening, etc.
- Do not look for rapid weight loss targets
- Practice good food behavior & cooking practices
- Do not take mental health issues like anxiety & depressive issues lightly as they are closely associated with weight gain.
Weight loss in teens should be done with great care, so the nutrition experts, parents & individuals themselves must go for a sensitive weight loss plan for children under 15 years. This is because of the reason any random weight loss plan can hinder their growth, nutritional status, hormonal balances & stress levels.