PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) is a disorder in women, wherein periods are irregular, infrequent or prolonged. Generally, ovaries develop numerous follicles or fluid type sacs (sizes vary) and an increase in androgen levels is seen.
PCOS consists of various symptoms like:-
- Facial hairs – due to high testosterone levels
- Irregular periods –due to deranged FSH /LH/Prolactin hormone
- Hair fall –due to high testosterone levels
- Heaviness in the chest –due to high Prolactin hormone
- Pigmentation – due to high insulin levels
- Weight gain – due to insulin resistance, high prolactin levels.
Generally common in the reproductive stage causing infertility. The common cause for this is stress, genetic, irregular, and sedentary lifestyle. Mostly detected through ultrasound and blood tests at day 2-3 of periods –PCOS profile.
Lifestyle recommendations –
- Exercise regularly: Focus on abdominal exercise.
- Maintain a healthy diet to avoid PCOS:
- Avoid eating sweets and fried food completely. If you have a craving for sweets, eat an apple or Soaked prune.
- Eat frequent small meals
- Breakfast should not be skipped.
- Add fibrous foods in your diet like brown rice /W bran /Oat bran /Quinoa/Barley.
- Avoid dairy products
- Reduce wheat content in diet –Include Quinoa /ragi /bajra/jowar.
- Have fruits and vegetables having low glycemic index.
- Have 10-12 glasses of water
- Dinners should be the lightest meal of the day.
- Include soy products ( except for thyroid patients )
- Have more of low glycemic fruits and vegetables in your diet
- Include lean meat like fish/chicken and avoid Mutton
- Avoid saturated or hydrogenated fats –include rice bran/soyabean/ mustard oil.
- Avoid sugar, jaggery, honey, and refined cereals like maida, sooji, white rice
- Include-Pulses: Yellow moong, green moong, chana dal, beans, whole pulses
- Ayurvedic /Kitchen herbs:
- Methi Dana water –Soak 1 tsp methi dana in 1 glass of water –make it lukewarm in morning sieve and drink this empty stomach. Helps in insulin resistance
- Jeera water – Soak 1 tsp methi dana in 1 glass of water –make it lukewarm in morning sieve and drink this empty stomach. Helps in water retention
- Flaxseeds are a good source of omega 3-Include 1 tsp in the diet. Have Women well being for irregular periods.
- Kanchnar guggul is also a very good herb in this condition to dissolve cyst.
- We should maintain ideal body weight as when weight increases cyst reoccurs.
- We should include these lifestyles and ayurvedic herbs.