Suffering from PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a hormonal dysfunction characterized by the growth of benign masses over ovaries known as ovarian cysts. It is caused due to imbalance in hormones such as estrogen and testosterone.
Earlier it was seen in women above 30 years of age but nowadays even young females at an early age of 18 years face this issue. The common symptoms include excessive hair over chin and face, change in voice, weight gain, acne, depression, etc.
There are many factors that can lead to PCOS which can be hormonal imbalance, genetic, insulin resistance, dietary habits, contraceptive pills, lifestyle, etc. Lifestyle is something that is most likely to cause hormonal imbalance due to stress, depression, lack of physical activity. It is something that can be taken care of.
There are certain points to be kept in mind in order to improve your health if one is suffering from PCOS :
- Start your day by taking green juice including-neem, karela, spinach, aloe vera, lauki. It will help you in detoxifying.
- Consume a clove of garlic empty stomach in the morning. In case you find it difficult to swallow, you can even include it in your dishes.
- Include overnight soaked methi dana (fenugreek seed) water in your morning routine.
- Replace your normal tea/coffee with herbal tea like tulsi tea, jasmine tea, mint tea, cinnamon tea.
- Include a protein-rich diet in your breakfast like sprouts, dal cheela, besan, etc.
- Cut down refined cereals like bread, maida, suji, rusk, etc from your diet.
- Cut down sugar in your diet. Avoid taking colas, juices, jams, jellies, etc.
- Include dairy-free milk in your diet like almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, etc
- While taking normal milk add turmeric or ginger to it.
- Include herbs like black pepper, cinnamon, garlic, cumin seeds in your food.
- Include more green leafy vegetables in your diet.
- Avoid both fasting and feasting as both can be harmful to your health.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption.
- Start your day with some exercise or you can even choose yoga and meditation which works wonders for your stress and depression. In case you are not able to do work out in the morning, you can do a workout in the evening as well, depending on your schedule. Indulge in a minimum of 40-50 minutes of physical activity for at least 5 days a week.
PCOS can be managed by simple changes in your lifestyle. Dietary changes along with physical activity can give you great results. It is never too late to start your health regime. You can consult a health expert and work on what is best for you as every individual is different and things can be managed by changing simple habits.