The type and amount of food an individual eats play an important role in reducing weight or maintaining healthy body weight. Besides dieting, people opt for the gym as a strategy for weight loss. But, post-cessation of workout, it often leads to weight gain. A healthy diet is regarded as a crucial element for good health. Choosing nutritious foods and opting for customized diet plans, keeping in mind the age, gender, body constitution, medical reports of an individual is the most effective way to lose weight. Primary emphasis is laid on restricting white sugar, refined cereals, junk foods and promoting the use of wholesome foods that help in maintaining a desirable nutritious status and general well-being. Some key points to consider for effective weight loss are as follows-
- Foods should be chewed properly and slowly– It ensures smooth digestion and absorption of nutrients
- Eat adequate amounts of protein– Proteins require a longer time to get digested, assimilated and absorbed in the body. There is evidence that a high protein intake enhances thermogenesis and satiety.
- Incorporate high fibre foods in your diet- It keeps individuals full thereby preventing overeating. Include more fruits, vegetables, oats, chia seeds, spinach, broccoli, etc. in your diet.
- Sufficient sleep and avoid stress– Shorter sleep and elevated stress level are related to (abdominal) obesity. To maintain a healthy weight make sure to get enough sleep.
- Reduce the intake of sugars, fried and packaged food – These are low in nutritional value and high in calories, preservatives, additives which lower immunity and damages overall health.
- Early Dinner: Make sure to finish off your dinner by 7:00 pm, it gives enough time to your body to digest food before sleeping.
Foods for weight loss
Fruits such as apples, kiwi, berries, grapefruit, watermelons are low in glycemic index, high in fibre thus, aid in weight loss. Leafy greens like spinach, kale, cabbage are high in fibre and provide fullness. Chia seeds are rich in antioxidants, considerably rich in fibre and should be incorporated in the diet plan.
Jasmine Infusion enhances metabolism and reduces water retention in the body, thus aid in weight loss. Take 2-3 cups of Jasmine tea in a day .
Frequent exercises like walking, jogging or running, cycling, swimming and yoga act as alternatives to gym training and may also help in weight loss.