Ayurveda is an ancient medical practice that helps in treating chronic illness. In Ayurveda diabetes is correlated to Madhumeha and it is associated with mithyahara vihara-improper dietary habits and physical activities.
Some common signs of diabetes are:
- Rapid weight loss
- Blurry vision
- Skin infections
- Increased thirst
- Excessive hunger pangs
- Wounds heal slowly
- Extreme fatigue
- Frequent urination
Diabetes is caused when Kapha Dosha is imbalanced in our body. When Kapha dominance is not managed with a balanced diet and lifestyle, it can cause diabetes. When the Kapha Dosha is imbalanced it weakens agni (digestive fire) and slows the metabolism. This elevated sugar levels in the body.
Ayurveda refers to diabetes as Madhumeha i.e. ‘sweet urine’. It causes an increase in blood sugar levels in the blood and in the urine. Ayurvedic texts also describe diabetes as ‘Dhatupaka Janya Vikruti’. It’s the effect that high sugar levels have on our tissues. And also that it is an inherited disease.
Can diabetes be cured completely by Ayurveda?
According to the World Health Organization, diabetes is one of the most common diseases in the world, and managing this disease can be difficult, but it’s not impossible. Lifestyle Modifications and Ayurvedic herbs can help in treating diabetes.
Here are a few modifications according to Ayurveda for maintaining your blood sugar.
- Add one cup of water into a copper vessel at night and drink it the next morning.
- To reduce the Kapha you follow a pacifying diet that excludes processed foods, excess sugar, simple carbohydrates, and full-fat dairy products. Instead, you can eat fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs that are bitter in nature.
- Drink warm turmeric water, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Ginger tea
How can I get rid of diabetes permanently?
While there is no standard cure that eradicates diabetes from the root, you can still follow Ayurvedic medicine for diabetes and panchkarma therapies for its associated symptoms. Ayurveda helps to reduce the effect diabetes has on your body and allows you to live a holistic and healthy life.
A holistic Ayurvedic routine includes waking up early in the morning, scraping your tongue to get rid of any digestive waste (also known as ama) then you can take the Ayurvedic herbs for diabetes.
Some of the potent Ayurvedic herbs for diabetes:
- Aloe vera
- Bitter gourd
- Bay leaf
- Fresh Bilva leaves
- Fenugreek seeds
- Paneer Doda flowers
Dietary and Lifestyle modification required to control diabetes:
- Avoid taking mid-day naps
- Reduce carbohydrate intake
- Follow a timely meal schedule. Have freshly prepared warm food.
- Cooked vegetables.
- Broken wheat (daliya), millets, and jowar
- Avoid adding too much oil to your food
- Quit alcohol and smoking
- Introduce a moderate amount of yoga and exercise in your daily routine.
- Regular blood tests & health checkups
Panchkarma Therapies for Treating Diabetes:
- Udvartana is a powder massage often used for the treatment of obesity and can be done daily.
- Snehapana is a process of full body internal and external lubrication via drinking ghee as well as massaging the oil on without any other oral intake.
- Abhyanga is a warm oil massage.
- Swedana – This panchkarma therapy involves inducing sweating through steaming which involves herbal decoctions also.
- Vamana (induced vomiting) it’s to expel increased Kapha dosha from the body.
These information are really very needful for me.