Method of Making Tri-Color Idli
1.To make idli batter, take sooji, salt, and yogurt in a bowl.
2. Mix well till everything is incorporated well. You can also add food color according to your choice. Keep it aside for 15-20 minutes.
3. Prepare the idli stand or molds. Grease the molds well using oil. Keep it aside.
4. After this 15-20 minutes of resting time, you will notice that sooji absorbed most of the water. And the batter is really thick. So add the water to make batter consistency. You may need about ¼ to ½ cup of water.
5. Stir well.
6. Now prepare the steamer. Add glassful of water in the steamer or idli cooker, bring it to a simmer.
7. At the time of steaming or making the idli, add Eno fruit salt and sprinkle little water on top. It will start to bubble immediately. Quickly mix it well.
8. Pour this batter into greased idli molds.
9. Now place this idli stand into steamer or cooker. Steam for 10-12 minutes on medium heat. Or till the toothpick/knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
10. Remove the idli stand from the steamer and let it stand for 2-3 minutes. Then using a knife or spoon, remove the idlis from the molds.
11. Serve them hot or warm.
– By Damini Gupta (Winner of Tri-Color Recipe Contest)