Our mind’s response to the outer challenging situations at home or workplace is called Stress. Stress can be helpful for us as it helps us to cope up with the conditions like meeting daily targets in the office or managing household work. In other situations when stress covers our body and mind it lead to severe illnesses. Adrenal gland releases cortisol hormone to balance the neurotransmission functions of our body, high levels of cortisol lead to stress which in turn causes insomnia, indigestion and fatigue.
Ayurveda explains the effect of stress on three doshas in different ways. Vata personalities with stress can have anxiety, palpitations, fear like conditions. Pitta personalities have digestive issues like ulcers, increased blood pressure, hair fall. On the other hand, Kapha personalities have weight gain with a slow metabolism and increased sugar level in blood.
There are various ways in Ayurveda to manage stress. Herbs which work in stress management are known as “Medhya Rasayana”.
Here are a few herbs that actually do wonders when it comes to managing stress:
- Brahmi (Bacopa monniera)This is the first herb come in everyone’s mind in case of stress and insomnia like situations. Brahmi contains alkaloids like brahmine, triterpenoid saponins, also known as bacosides in it along with nicotine, herpestine which act as a brain nourisher and improve brain functions naturally. The antioxidant property of Brahmi increases immunity and relieves stress. It can be taken not only by adults but also by children. Brahmi can also be consumed in conditions like anxiety, epilepsy, ulcers and anaemia.
- Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera)The ancient traditional herb is used in different forms like powder, capsule and infusion. It contains alkaloids like withanolides and sitoindosides which helps to relieve stress. These chemicals protect cells from oxidative damage and disease. Ashwagandha not only relaxes mind but also removes physical tiredness of muscles. Long term usage of this herb is good for improving immunity, fight stress and give nourishment to the body. This works as a Rasayana in Ayurveda treatments.
- Tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum)Tulsi the sacred herb, having active compound carvacrol, eugenol and linalool, is known to every person for its various roles which lead to a healthy body and mind. This regulates the stress hormone cortisol and helps the body to manage the pressure of stress along with the valuable benefits of antiaging and detoxification. Tulsi can be used in all forms like juice, decoction and nowadays capsules are also available in the market. Tulsi nourishes our mind, improves immunity and lead to a stress-free life.
- Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla)The mild sedative herb which is commonly used in the form of decoction is used to manage stress and conditions like insomnia. Chamomile is having an active compound of bisabolol, apigenin and chamazulene which helps people with disturbed sleep. This herb is also beneficial in fever, indigestion and muscle spasm.
- Peppermint (Mentha Piperata)The menthol present in peppermint is a natural muscle relaxant and helps to treat stress, anxiety and mental exhaustion. The best way to have it is in the form of peppermint tea.
- Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Citratus)The active compounds of Lemon Grass, citronella, citral and geraniol are known for their medicinal properties of pain suppressor, anxiety and indigestion. Lemongrass oil is commonly used in aromatherapy. Lemongrass is also used in the form of tea/infusion to relieve stress. It is beneficial in conditions like indigestion, sleep disturbances and fatigue.
You can the benefits of all these herbs in a convenient and easy to take form with our Stress Less – Stress Relief Program. Share with us your queries in the comment section below and we will love to answer!