High blood pressure or hypertension occurs when blood pressure increases to high levels. Blood pressure measurement takes into account how much blood is passing through the blood vessels and the amount of resistance the blood meets while the heart is pumping. High blood pressure causes blood vessel damage that leads to heart disease, kidney disease, stroke, and other problems. Eating a healthy diet that is rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products and skimps on saturated fat and cholesterol can lower your blood pressure by up to 11 mm Hg if you have high blood pressure.
Food that helps to lower the blood pressure are:
- Green Leafy Vegetables: Foods that are rich in potassium helps your kidneys get rid of sodium through urine. This lowers the blood pressure. Green leafy vegetables are rich in potassium.
- Berries: Blueberries and strawberries are rich in flavonoids. Studies have proven that consuming these compounds might prevent hypertension and help lower blood pressure.
- Red Beets: Red beets are high in nitric oxide, which can help open your blood vessels and lower blood pressure. Beetroot is delicious when roasted or added to stir-fries and stews. You can also bake them into chips.
- Skim milk and yoghurt: Being a good source of Calcium and low fat, these are both important elements of a diet for lowering blood pressure.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a form of soluble fibre. Oatmeal breaks down in the digestive tract and forms a kind of gel that absorbs LDL (Bad Cholesterol) and carry it out of the body.
- Banana: Being a good source of potassium, banana helps in reducing the sodium levels and helps in lowering the blood pressure.
- Fish and Omega-3s: Fish and Omega 3 fatty acids also help in lowering the blood pressure. Omega-3s include flax seeds, walnuts, and fatty fish such as salmon.
- Garlic: Studies have shown that garlic inhibits the platelet stickiness and clumping, which helps in thining the blood like aspirin or thrombolytic drugs do. Garlic is helpful in reducing the fibrinogen that prevents the formation of blood clots and ultimately leads to the reduction of blood pressure and lowers the risk of heart diseases.
- Pomegranate: It contains flavonoids that improve vascular flexibility and reduces vessels constriction. Pomegranate juice is effective for lowering the blood pressure when added to anti-hypertensive medications.