Constipation refers to bowel movements that are less frequent or hard to pass and where the stool is often hard and dry. As in Ayurveda, Vata governs all the movements of the body, including the elimination process, it categorizes constipation under Vatic Disorder. So, the things which can worsen this dosha can worsen constipation as well, like stress, dehydration, cold wind, travel, tension, exhaustion, dry-cold, and rough foods, etc.
We all generally assume that eating fiber alone can prevent or cure constipation, but that is not the only reason especially with Vata people. Their constipation problem easily gets solved with warm, moist, and little oily foods alone.
CAUSES behind constipation problem are:
Constipation usually is caused
- Poor bowel habits
- low fiber diets- because fiber promotes regular bowel movements
- hormonal disorders
- drinking less water
- Less or no physical activity
Some of the symptoms of constipation are-
- Difficulty in passing stool
- passing less and frequent stool than usual
- lumpy, dry, or hard stool
- Feeling pain and cramps in the abdomen
- feeling bloated or nausea
- a loss of appetite
In Ayurveda, constipation is called vibhandh, which occurs when excessive Vata’s cold and dry qualities disturb the colon, inhibiting its normal functioning. Learn to prepare your own diet plan.
- Vata Dosha Pacifying Diet- Staying away from cold foods and drinks, dried fruit, salads and most beans and having warm foods, warm drinks and well-cooked vegetables and drink enough amount of water
- PSYLLIUM HUSK- as it serves as an effective demulcent and bulking agent in the colon
- TRIPHALA- Triphala has glycoside that has laxative properties, taking 1tsp Triphala 1 hour before dinner.
- FENNEL- A teaspoon of roasted fennel at bedtime with a glass of warm water
- MILK AND GHEE- Taking one teaspoon of ghee in a cup of hot milk at bedtime
- FLAXSEEDS- just take about 1 tablespoon of these super seeds and boil it in a cup of water for 2-3 minutes, allow it to cool slightly, and then drink the water
- CASTOR OIL- take 1-2 tablespoons of castor oil preferably at bedtime with milk
- ARAGVADHA- fruit pulp 1tsp with water.