Sesame seeds or Til are one of the first known oil seeds which are widely used for cooking purpose, especially in the Asian countries. It has been used in traditional medicine for their preventive and curative properties and also for its known nutritional profile.
It is the primary source of phytonutrients such as omega-6 fatty acids, flavonoid, phenolic antioxidants, vitamins and dietary fibre with potential anti-cancer properties.
Sesame plant is a tall annual herb in the Pedaliaceae family, which grows in Asia, particularly in Burma, China, and India.
Let us now discuss the health benefits of sesame seeds or til:
- Loaded with Protein: Sesame seeds are full of high-quality protein. Protein makes up 20 per cent of the seed with 4.7 grams of protein per ounce.
- Prevents Diabetes: It consists of magnesium and other nutrients which has been shown to prevent diabetes, and it can also improve plasma glucose in hypersensitive and diabetics.
- Regulates Blood Pressure: Sesame seeds are full of magnesium—a key nutrient known to help lower blood pressure.
- Lowers Cholesterol: The seeds are especially rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acid, oleic acid, which comprises up to 50% of fatty acids in them. Oleic acid helps lower LDL or “bad cholesterol” and increases HDL or “good cholesterol” in the blood.
- Good for Digestion: Rich source of dietary fibre so helps in preventing constipation and promotes regularity in bowel movements.
- Healthy Skin: High zinc content in the seeds helps in the production of collagen which in turn improves the elasticity of the skin and repairs the damaged tissues of the body. A study suggests that regular use of sesame oil reduces the risk of skin cancer.
- Good for Heart Health: Sesame seed oil can help heart health by preventing atherosclerotic lesions with the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound known as sesamol.
- Prevents Cancer: Sesame seeds contain anti-cancer properties that include phytic acid, magnesium and phytosterols which helps in preventing cancers of all types, especially skin cancer.
- Reduces Anxiety: Sesame seeds contain a high amount of magnesium and calcium which are also known as stress relieving minerals. They also consist vitamins like thiamin and tryptophan that helps in the increased production of serotonin, which further reduces pain, assists moods and helps you sleep deeply.
- Protects from Radiation Damage: Sesamol in sesame seeds and sesame oil has been shown to protect against DNA damage caused by radiation.
- Superfood for Arthritis: Its high copper content prevents and relieves arthritis. It also strengthens bones, joints and blood vessels.
- Delays Wrinkles: Sesame seed oil prevents harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun from damaging your skin and hence preventing or delaying the appearance of wrinkles and pigmentation.
- Respiratory Health: The magnesium in sesame seeds helps prevent respiratory disorders like asthma and airway spasm.
Since now that we now all the health benefits of sesame seeds and also that they deserve to be highly honoured with affordable food that deeply nourishes the body on many levels. Consumption of a handful roasted sesame every day provides enough recommended levels of phenolic antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, and protein.