Makes 4 Servings
Ingredients (For Masala)
- 1 tsp coriander (dhania) seeds
- 2 whole dry Kashmiri red chillies,
- broken into pieces
- 3 to 4 peppercorns (kalimirch)
- a pinch cumin seeds (jeera)
- 4 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 7 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 4 tomatoes, blanched and puréed
- 1/4 cup cooked toovar (arhar) dal, whisked
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
Method (For Masala)
1. Heat a small non-stick pan, add all the ingredients and dry roast on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes. Keep aside.
2. When cool blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
How to proceed
1. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
2. When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves, tomato purée, 2 cups of water, toovar dal, chilli powder, prepared masala and salt; mix well and bring to a boil.
3. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
4. Serve hot garnished with coriander.