Before you moving ahead and taking notes on Herbs to manage Thyroid, let’s understand what is Thyroid and what are the symptoms of Thyroid.
What is Thyroid?
The thyroid is a small butterfly-shaped gland found at the base of your neck, it makes thyroid hormone i.e, Triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) that controls your body’s metabolism.
Hypothyroidism is also known as an underactive thyroid. It is an Increased level of TSH and a decreased level of T3 and T4 hormones which means that your thyroid gland is not making enough thyroid hormones.
Symptoms of hypothyroidism are-
- Suffering from Constipation most of the times
- Weakness in Muscles
- Feeling Cold most of the times
- Weight gain in spite of controlled eating
- Sluggishness in body and body’s metabolism
- Pain in Joints and muscles
- Feeling Depressed or usual upset
- Feeling tired
- Dry and pale skin
- Thinning of hair
Hyperthyroidism, or overactive thyroid, causes your thyroid to make more thyroid hormones. Increased level of T3 and T4 and decreased level of TSH hormone. This speeds up your body’s functions, like your metabolism and heart rate.
Symptoms of hyperthyroidism are-
- Feeling slightly more hot
- Increased sweating
- Eating more than usual
- Weight loss
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Feeling nervous or anxious
- Trembling in your hands and fingers
According to Ayurveda, the thyroid function is controlled by Pitta dosha. Pitta is responsible for all of the metabolic actions carried out by the thyroid hormones.
In Hypothyroidism the Pitta dosha is covered by Kapha Dosha which diminishes cellular metabolism. The treatment e is aimed to remove the coating of Kapha dosha thus enabling Pitta to perform its function normally.
Management – A combination of the right diet and medication can help restore thyroid functions. –
- Add iodized salt in the diet for hypothyroidism.
- Avoid soy-based foods like tofu, beans, soy milk, and cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, kale, spinach, cabbage, etc.
- Take a glass of milk and add 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and drink it every day to regulate the thyroid gland functioning.
Purchase our Intensive monitoring nutrition advisory plans for Managing Thyroid at home: Click here
Herbs to manage Thyroid-
- Kanchanar Guggulu: is an effective Ayurvedic tablet for treating hypothyroidism.
- Ashwagandha: It balances hormones by calming the body’s response to stress. It is also known to boost endurance.
- Licorice(mulethi): It Assists in protecting the thyroid gland from oxidative damage and also help to lower levels of cortisol(stress hormone)
- Flaxseeds: It is common in essential omega 3 fatty acids, Take one teaspoon of flaxseed powder with water regularly.
- Coriander seeds: At night Soak 1 tablespoon of Coriander Seeds in water. Then in the morning boil that water until half water remains. Let the water cool down and you can drink it with an empty stomach.
- The asanas specific for thyroid health are:
- Sarvangasana which puts considerable pressure on the thyroid, improving circulation.
- Matsyasana, Halasana, Surya Namskara, Naukasana, Uttanapadasana, Pavanmuktasana.
- Ujjayi pranayama is very effective.
Download Vedique Diet App, for Personalised and Customised Diet Plans.