The term ‘Organic’ refers to the products that are grown with natural fertilizers like manure and compost. These foods have more beneficial nutrients such as antioxidants etc. Organic foods are the best way of reducing exposure to toxins which are used in agricultural practices as these toxins include not only pesticides but cancer-causing agents.
Benefits of organic foods:
- Organic foods contain some chemicals like fungicides and insecticides which are used in agriculture and residues which remain in food the person eats.
- Organic food does not contain any artificial preservatives so their shelf life is much shorter. It is important when it comes to fresh fruits and vegetables which starts losing nutritional value the same moment when they are harvested.
- Organic food provides considerably greater amounts of essential nutrients that play the key role in human health.
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) foods are those whose DNA has been altered in ways that cannot occur in nature so organic foods are GMO-free foods.
- Organic farming reduces pollution, conserve water, reduce soil erosion, increase soil fertility, and it also uses less energy.
- Organic meat and its products and milk are rich in certain nutrients, including omega-3 fatty acids which is good for human health.
- Feeding livestock animal by-products increase the risk of disease and the use of antibiotics might create antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria.
- The animals which are raised organically have given more space to move around and they also access to the outdoors, which helps to keep them healthy.
- Antibiotic Resistance People are very sensitive to their health, and they often take precautions to make sure they must remain healthy and non-organic food sources, particularly livestock and feed houses, also use antibiotics to feed their animals. This extra dose of antibiotics may help in weakening the immune system.
- Better Taste organic food tastes better than conventional food. The reason for this is that it is produced using organic means of production. Organic foods that are sold locally results in the availability of fresh products in the market that usually tastes better than produce that has been frozen.