Brahmi is a traditional therapeutic herb which is also known as Bacopa monnieri. It is native to India and is commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine as a memory enhancer, aphrodisiac, and general tonic. Its impact on cognitive performance has proved it to be a herb of various benefits.
Below listed are few of the health benefits of Brahmi.
Health Benefits of Brahmi
- Boosts Cognitive Function: One of the most important benefits of Brahmi is its ability to stimulate the mind and is particularly related to memory and concentration power. In Ayurvedic medicine, it is used to increase focus and retention power. Some organic compounds present in Brahmi help to stimulate the cognitive pathways in the brain that in turn help to boost cognitive ability. It also has an ability to reduce the onset of cognitive disorders such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. According to various researches, consuming Brahmi is an effective way of stimulating the creation of new neural pathways and lowering oxidative stress in the brain, therefore, keeping our minds sharp in our old age.
- Reduces Anxiety and Stress: Brahmi leaves can be chewed (only 2-3 at a time) in order to relieve stress and anxiety. It helps to decrease the levels of cortisol, which is known as the stress hormone. Brahmi fights the effects of stress by regulating hormones involved with the stress response.
- Anti-inflammatory Capacity: By rubbing Brahmi plant leaves topically on affected parts of the body, the compounds released can reduce swelling and eliminate irritation, as well as inflammation inside the body. This remedy is ideal for people suffering from arthritis, gout and other inflammatory conditions.
- Antioxidant Effect: Antioxidants help in removing free radicals that can further take the form of cancer cells. These free radicals affect the whole body, from the skin to the cardiovascular system, so a regular dose of Brahmi in a daily or weekly diet can help in maintaining a high quality of life and a healthy metabolism. There is one specific dangerous toxin, called acrylamide, which Brahmi has specifically shown resistance to; acrylamide is particularly related to neurodegenerative diseases.
- Improves Respiratory Health: When Brahmi is added in a tea or chewed as normal leaves, it can boost the respiratory health. It has played an important role in Ayurvedic treatments for bronchitis, congestion, chest colds, and blocked sinuses. It can help in clearing out excess phlegm and mucus and relieving the inflammation in the throat and respiratory tracts to provide you with rapid relief.
- Boosts Immunity: Brahmi gives the immune system a necessary boost. The nutrients are supplemented by the antioxidant compounds to increase the response time of the immune system against pathogens, viruses or bacterial infection.
- Treats Epilepsy: Brahmi leaves can be used to prevent epileptic fits and other forms of mental disease, including bipolar disorders and neuralgia because of its effect on neural pathways.
- Reduces Blood Sugar: Brahmi is well known for regulating the blood sugar levels in patients suffering from diabetes which in turn may help in improving symptoms of hypoglycemia.
- Treats Digestive Issues: It is a sedative and soothing herb. Also, it has anti-inflammatory properties which may help in providing relief from gastrointestinal conditions such as ulcers etc.
- Beauty benefits of Brahmi: Brahmi oil is good for treating a dry scalp and preventing hair fall. The antioxidant components not only helps in rejuvenating scalp but also helps in the regeneration of healthy hair. These antioxidants also help in removing the toxins from the body and enhance skin complexion by stimulating cell regeneration. Brahmi is also great for treating hair problems like dandruff, itching and formation of split ends. Moreover, massaging the scalp with Brahmi oil will let you feel very soothing and relaxing.
Brahmi is an amazing herb with great benefits for your health as well as hair and skin. Start incorporating it into your lifestyle and see the difference.