Ayurveda is traditional medicine, treatment, and practice of holistic healthcare. The Ayurvedic Diet follows ancient theories, beliefs, and experiences inherited through generations.
Ayurveda primarily focuses on managing lifestyle problems, which are more prevalent among specific age groups due to stress-related phenomena and other factors. It has worldwide acceptance in the treatment of ailments and preservation of health.
Diabetes and Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, Doshas(that which can cause problems) are believed to be responsible for a person’s holistic health – physical, mental, and emotional. There is a unique blend of doshas in each individual. A Dosha imbalance results in health problems. The three main doshas are :
- Vata – movement in the body
- Pitta – digestion or metabolism
- Kapha – strength and growth
Having an imbalance in the Kapha and Vata Dosha leads to Diabetes.
Diabetes is a long-term health condition in which the bloodstream has a high level of blood sugar. As a result of this metabolic disorder, the body has difficulty using glucose, resulting in high urine sugar levels. It is possible for diabetes to affect anyone at any age, whether they are children, adults, or the elderly.
Ayurvedic Diet that helps with Diabetes
- People with diabetes should avoid the consumption of food that has a high glycemic index which means food that quickly raises the level of blood sugar in our body.
- For Example, White Rice or even brown rice, processed and oily foods, and fruits with high sugar.
- Foods rich in protein like pulses and seeds are advisable instead of carbohydrate-rich foods.
- Depending on the individual’s constituent nature, the diet consists of barley, vegetables (bitter and light), ghee, herbs, and other appropriate foods.
- In Ayurveda, diet and herbal remedies are adapted based on a person’s constitution and current imbalance, which is why they are effective.
Lifestyle changes that complement the Ayurvedic Diet
To treat diabetes, diet and lifestyle modifications are essential. People should exercise, do yoga, walk, or do any physical activity to maintain balance in health and life. They are advised to reduce mental and emotional issues like stress, anxiety, fear, etc.
Also, they are suggested to reduce or avoid the consumption of alcohol and tobacco. They should get proper advice and treatment for genetic disorders and chronic diseases.
A certified Ayurveda expert can offer you more information about Ayurvedic treatments if you are diabetic and considering them. Be careful when making drastic dietary changes. Consult certified experts whenever possible.
Moreover, as a way to mitigate the effects of this metabolic disorder, our doctors provide custom-made treatment and advice on lifestyle modifications.