Craving for sweets is extremely common, especially among women. In fact, up to 97% of women and 68% of men are reported to have some sort of food craving, including cravings for sugar. Those experiencing a sugar craving feels a strong urge to eat sweet products and finds it difficult to control themselves around food. As a result, this can lead to binge eating or over-consumption of calories.
Here are some foods that will help fight the sugar cravings and maintain the Sugar Balance:
- Fruit is naturally sweet but also comprises of lots of beneficial plant compounds and fibre, allowing to have the fix in one’s diet and keep it healthy. To make sure it hits the spot, one should consume fruits that are slightly higher in sugars. Also if feeling hungry, try adding some yoghurt to the fruits to make it a more satisfying snack.
- Chia seeds are a good source of many important nutrients, including omega-3 fatty acids, and soluble dietary fibre (around 40%). These seeds readily absorb water and swell up to form a jelly-like substance in the gut, which help in feeling fuller for longer and prevent sugar cravings. Chia seeds are also versatile, so if one wants a dessert to satisfy the sweet craving, one could try making a chia pudding.
- Dates are the dried fruit of the date palm tree. They are highly nutritious and very sweet (stick to one portion at a time or about three dates). They are a great source of fibre, potassium, iron and beneficial plant compounds. Consuming a few dates instead of a soda or some candy can give a sweet fix and also provide with healthy nutrients.
- Fermented foods like yoghurt, kimchi, kombucha, and sauerkraut are sources of good bacteria. The beneficial bacteria found in these foods help in maintaining the balance of “good” bacteria in the gut and reduce the number of disease-causing bacteria. It’s been reported that including some fermented food in the diet could contribute to maintaining a healthy gut and also help prevent food cravings.
- Trail Mix, a small serving of a healthy mix of nuts like almonds and pistachios with a few pieces of dried fruit (like cranberries or cherries) and dark chocolate pieces makes a great snack mix with good nutritional value and can help fulfil the sweet craving.