The prevalence of diabetes is increasing worldwide. Diabetes affects almost all age groups in India, including children, adults, and the elderly.
Diabetes is a long-term health condition that causes high blood sugar levels in the bloodstream. Due to this metabolic disorder, the body has difficulty utilizing glucose, resulting in high urine sugar levels.
It can be due to – genetics, sedentary lifestyle, food choices, gestation, PCOS, sleep deprivation, metabolic disturbances, and many other factors.
A person can be –
- Type 1 diabetic (a genetic condition that often shows up early in life),
- Type 2 diabetic (mainly lifestyle related and develops over time),
- Gestational diabetic (develops during pregnancy) or
- Pre-diabetic (an individual who may have a higher than normal blood sugar level but not yet high enough to be considered type 2 diabetic).
General symptoms of being Pre-diabetic or Diabetic
- discoloration of the skin around the neck, armpits, knees, elbows, and knuckles
- sudden unexplainable weight loss
- unhealed sores or cuts that take a long time to heal
- the desire to drink more (thirsty)
- a frequent urge to urinate during the day as well as at night
- blurry vision, fatigue, excessive sleep
- frequent infections of the skin, urine, or gums.
Over and over again, we hear how bad food choices and the wrong lifestyle can lead to many diseases in our bodies, including Diabetes.
Diet for Pre-diabetes and Diabetes
To prevent being pre-diabetic or diabetic, one should follow a highly nutritive diet with a healthy-eating plan and a physically active lifestyle. A balanced and nutritive Ayurvedic diet can help you avert and overcome diabetes in the long run.
An Ayurvedic diet aims to balance your body’s Doshas and Prakriti holistically and follows ancient theories, beliefs, and experiences inherited through generations.
Best Foods for Pre-Diabetics and Diabetics
Eat foods that are high in fiber- fruits, non-starchy vegetables (bitter gourd and regular gourd), green vegetables, salad, etc.
- Foods rich in protein like pulses, whole grains, nuts, and seeds
- Legumes like beans and peas
- Fish such as salmon, tuna, and sardines (rich in omega-3 fatty acids) prevents heart disease
- Good fats like avocado, nuts, canola, olive oil, peanut oil, etc.
- Herbs like aloe vera, neem, garlic, fenugreek seeds, fresh bilva leaves, cinnamon, bay leaves, etc.
Foods to Avoid with Diabetes
- Sugary beverages or drinks (soda, sweet tea, sports drinks)
- High-fat dairy products (butter) and processed food
- Red meat, processed meat, bacon, etc.
- Carbohydrate-rich foods (potato, maida etc.)
One should know that maintaining a healthy lifestyle while on a diet is necessary. You can stay active by exercising, practicing yoga, or engaging in any other physical activity that you enjoy to prevent diabetes and pre-diabetes. Furthermore, one must completely give up smoking and drinking. People with pre-diabetes and kids have a significant risk of developing type 2 diabetes if they don’t make lifestyle changes.
Several risks are involved if you have diabetes or are pre-diabetic – heart damage, nerve damage, kidney damage, eye damage, urinary infections, depression, skin damage, etc.
Consult your doctor if you have diabetes or pre-diabetes and work with them on your diet and lifestyle plan.
The Vedique Diet by Dr. Shikha can help you to manage your weight and improve your body’s response to the disease. The most trusted Vedique Diet (diet for diabetes) provides a complete solution to people, experiencing and suffering from Diabetes or who are pre-diabetic.