Cancer is a disease in which the uncontrollable growth of abnormal cells takes place that harms body tissues. According to WHO, it is the second cause of deathsin the world. Nutrition plays a very important role in preventing and treating cancers.
Importance of Proper Nutrition while treating Cancer
While on chemotherapy, one needs to make sure that a healthy, wholesome, and high calories diet is consumed. As the body undergoes immense stress of heavy medicines, the body requires high proteins and high calories to compensate for the effect.
High Calories must be achieved from lean proteins (eggs, fish, chicken, legumes, beans, lentils, soy etc), complex carbohydrates (whole grains like brown rice, oats, barley, quinoa etc) and Healthy Fats mostly.
Healthy fats are required in moderate quantities, but inclusion of only cold pressed oils like avocado oil, olive oil, coconut oil, mustard or sesame oil must be there. Avoid trans fats, saturated fats.
Nuts and seeds like almonds, walnuts, pistachio, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds should be included.
Avoid Sugar in any direct form during the treatment.
Apart from these guidelines, a special attention and care must be taken in terms of Hygiene. This is so because radiation therapy or chemotherapy can weaken one’s immune system and so the body is more prone to getting infections from harmful bacteria, virus, or parasites. Raw fruits and vegetables can prove to be carriers in this. Therefore, only properly cooked vegetables and stewed fruit salads must be allowed. Raw meat, frozen foods, canned foods, readymade foods, unpasteurized milk, unpasteurized juices, and raw salads must be avoided. Avoid consuming stale food.
Do’s &Don’ts : Post Cancer Treatment
After the radiation or chemotherapy, one needs to follow these food guidelines for always: –
- Four to five servings of fresh and seasonal vegetables
- Three to four serving of fresh and seasonal fruits
- Good water intake throughout the day i.e., 2.5 -3 litres.
- Replace wheat flour with Whole grains like oatmeal, barley, sorghum, quinoa, brown rice etc.
- Refined oils must be replaced by cold pressed oils only (avocado oil, olive oil, coconut oil, mustard, or sesame oil etc) and these should be used in rotation.
- At Least two to three serving of high biological value proteins must be there daily (eggs, fish, chicken, legumes, beans, lentils, soy, etc)
- Quit alcohol, smoking and tobacco forever.
- Be physically active and dedicate 30-45 minutes daily to exercise.
- Follow all kinds of food hygiene and safety all life.