Fermentation is a process through which we preserve the food and develop beneficial enzymes, vitamins such as vitamin B, omega-3 fatty acids, and various probiotics which are GI friendly bacteria and very beneficial for the GI tract. In this process, lactofermentation begins in which natural bacteria feed on the sugar and starch in food creating lactic acid.
Natural fermentation of food is one of the best ways to preserve the nutrients in food and break the food down to make it in more simpler form for digestion. The fermented foods seem to improve the digestion and help with constipation also.
The culture of consuming fermented foods is very ancient. There is a very strong relationship between probiotics and good health. But nowadays, the trend of fermented foods is declining day by day.
Fermented foods have a lot of benefits. These are as follows:
- GI friendly bacteria: Fermented foods include GI friendly bacteria which are beneficial for the digestive tract. These bacteria help to maintain the bacteria balance in the GI tract. It helps to improve the digestion and also very helpful in reversing some diseases, improves the bowel health, aids digestion, and helps to boost the immunity of the body.
- Absorb the food: These are very beneficial in balancing the gut bacteria and the digestive enzymes which are present in the GI tract help to absorb more of the nutrients in the food which we consume. We don’t need any vitamins and supplements to absorb the nutrients from the food because it helps to do that.
- Helps to preserve foods: Fermentation is a process which helps to preserve the food for a longer period of time. For eg., the normal homemade salsa salad lasts for few weeks but fermented salsa salad lasts for a month. The same happens with pickles, beets and so on. Lacto-fermentation helps to store the foods for a long time without losing the nutrients.
- Makes the food more digestible: Fermented foods are rich in bacteria and are easily digestible. We can digest fermented foods more easily with minimal time than the normal foods.
- More nutritious: These foods are more nutritious than the normal. These are rich in vitamin and nutrients as they digest starches and sugars. They produce vitamin B12 and K2.
- Helps to keep the immune system healthy: As we know that a healthy gut will lead to a healthy body. Fermented foods are beneficial to ensure the healthy gut.
- Helps to cure the sugar and carbs cravings: Fermented foods are beneficial in limiting the sugar and carbs craving in the body.
- It helps to promote the growth of gut-friendly bacteria: The lactic acid which is produced during the fermentation helps to proliferate the bacteria which are already present in the gut. This lead to a better gut health.
- Increase the food flavor: Fermentation helps to increase the flavor of the fermented food. They are more delicious.
Fermented foods are very beneficial for the body because of the gastrointestinal friendly bacteria which is present in it. So, we should include these foods in our diet in a proper amount.