Vitamin deficiencies are the most under-diagnosed and untreated problems that most of the people have. Out of all the vitamins, Vitamin D though required in small amounts but plays a really important role in bone growth and mineralization, nerve conduction and many other important functions so its deficiency may cause various health problems.
- For regulation of calcium and phosphorus in the body. Vitamin D is responsible for proper absorption of Calcium thus maintaining the calcium-phosphorus balance in the body thus regulating blood pressure.
- Contributes to skin cell growth. Vitamin D’s active form Calcitriol helps in preventing premature aging by destroying the free radicals on the skin.
- Reduced risk of Diabetes. Studies have shown that an adequate amount of Vitamin D in the blood helps in proper functioning and maintenance of insulin secretions. Poor levels of Vitamin D also results in an increased risk of gestational diabetes during pregnancy.
- Helps in Cancer prevention. As Vitamin D is responsible for the growth and maintenance of cells thus it helps in reducing the production of cancerous cells and promotes its death.
- It helps in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases. Studies have linked Vitamin D deficiency to increased risk of cardiovascular problems, Blood pressure problems, and many bacterial infections.
SOME TIPS TO AVOID DEFICIENCY
Protect skin with fruits rather than sunscreen
The first and the most important tip is to expose yourself to the sun at least for at least 10-15 minutes unprotected by your sunscreens and other creams. If you are still worried about getting sunburn and tanning then eat lots of antioxidant-rich foods like berries, strawberries, oranges.
If you are afraid of the sun then eat foods high in Vitamins to meet your daily requirement while managing not to get exposed to the sun. Some of these include fatty fish like tuna and salmon, cheese, egg yolks, soybeans and leafy greens like spinach.
Make Cod liver oil your best friend
A single serving of Cod Liver oil is enough to meet the daily requirements and is a solution to combat every problem related to Vitamin D deficiency.
Take Vitamin D supplementation
It is better to get your regular check-up if you are involved in under the roof jobs and take the required supplementation to avoid any kind of deficiency.