When the hunger pangs kick in, roasted fox nuts make an amazing snack. Fox nuts are lotus flower’s seed that is grown in water. It is largely found in India and is commonly known as ‘Makhana’. These seeds are also used in few Indian dishes like kheer, raita or makhana curry. It is a highly nutritious food and can be stored for a long time if kept in airtight containers. This wonderful, economical and tasty snack has various medicinal properties too. It strengthens the spleen and kidneys. Fox nuts are known for great tea time snack and their multiple health benefits.
- Foxnut is high on antioxidant and thus useful in fighting the aging process and chronic inflammation, stress and also helps in preventing white hair, wrinkles, etc.
- Foxnuts are low in sodium and high in magnesium and potassium which help in controlling high blood pressure and diabetes too.
- The high calcium content of Makhana or Foxnuts is good for bone and teeth health. It helps in relieving arthritis- numbness, and pain in joints.
- Pregnant women are given makhana as they are high in calcium and iron. It also helps prevent hypertension and diabetes in the pregnant mother.
- Foxnuts improve the fertility rate in both men and women, thus helping infertility issues like premature ejaculation, increasing the quality of semen and also helps women in overcoming infertility.
- Foxnut is low in calories and sodium, therefore making it a perfect in-between meal snack which can make you feel full and further cravings for binge eating can be reduced.
- This very snack is rich in fibre, so can help overcome the digestive problems and help in weight loss as well. Also, they have some astringents properties which help in the kidney ailments, diarrhoea, and better appetite.
- These nuts have a good amount of protein it is considered apt snack for vegetarians. These could be included in the daily cereals or soup to maintain good health.