Indians like to begin everything with a bowl of Curd whether it’s an exam or a new job. Curd is one of the staples in all our kitchen pantries and is also known as yogurt or dahi. We have been indulging in curd long before the idea of superfoods became popular. A superfood is just what dahi is, and it needs to be a part of your daily meals throughout summer.
It is always convenient to be paired with any of our daily meals, the uses of curd extend beyond just curd recipes. It is rich in calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin B-2, Vitamin B-12, potassium, and magnesium. Curd has amazing health and beauty benefits that can be enjoyed by incorporating just one bowl every day in our diet. Approximately 1 cup of curd contains 100-150 calories, 2g of saturated fat, 3.5g of fat, 20g of sugar, and about 8-10g of protein.
In India curd is equivalent to comfort food. It’s cooling, soothing, nutritious and light exactly the same required for scorching Indian summer. No wonder it’s one of the top 10 summer foods that can help you drop kilos.
- The Ultimate Energiser: Curd can keep you hydrated and boost your energy levels at the same time. Thus it is the lightest and most-effective fuel you can rely on during summers. You can also add a little salt or sugar in it and your body will feel more balanced and energized. Curd is also a great stress buster and helps in dealing with anxiety.
- The Perfect Ignite and Immmunobooster: Curd helps in improving digestion as it is rich in nutrients. Curd helps the body to absorb nutrients from other food items that you eat and helps to cure many intestinal diseases. Curd is a brilliant gut healer as it is packed with the healthiest bacteria. Its probiotic nature improves immunity and helps in fighting with infections.
- Nurtures your heart: It reduces the risk of coronary heart diseases as it discourages the formation of cholesterol in your arteries. It also helps control blood pressure in the body. The special proteins in yogurt along with nutrients like potassium and magnesium help in lowering high blood pressure and promoting better cardiovascular health. It’s one of the best things one can have for a healthy heart.
- Bones and teeth strengthening: Curd is chock full of calcium, one cup of yogurt (250grams) contains about 275mg of calcium, which can keep bones and teeth healthy. Also, it contains minerals like phosphorus, which, in association with calcium, helps in bone growth.
- Skin nurturer and enhancer: Curd is rich in antioxidants like zinc, phosphorus, and vitamin E. It can naturally improve skin quality. Instead of trying other chemical-rich beauty products one can use curd to enhance the beauty and can get glowing skin. Curd has a moisturizing effect on the skin and hence it heals dry skin naturally. A lot of people suffer from acne due to an unhealthy gut. Curd helps in maintaining an active and happy gut which leads to healthy skin.
Therefore one should make a ritual of having a bowl of curd to stay fit always.