Magnesium is an important mineral that your body needs in order to function, it is one of the essential micronutrients required for a healthy body. You must consider Healthy Foods rich in magnesium in your diet. It is responsible for around 300 biochemical reactions in the human body. Magnesium helps to maintain normal muscle and nerve functions, it helps to maintain normal heartbeat and blood pressure, it is involved in calcium metabolism, carbohydrate metabolism and reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease. Magnesium also plays an important role in energy production and contributes to the structural development of bone.
The adult human body contains approx. 25 g of magnesium out of which 50–60% reside in the bones; most of what remains are present in soft tissues, and <1% reside outside of cells. Body magnesium is regulated physiologically through 3 main mechanisms: absorption through the gut, renal excretion after filtration and reabsorption, and exchange from the large pool of bone magnesium.
The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for magnesium is 400 to 420 mg for men and 310 to 320 mg for women, Pregnant women 350-360 mg and breastfeeding women 310 – 320 mg.
A deficiency in magnesium can lead to numbness, muscle cramps, seizures, abnormal heart rhythms, and coronary spasms and consuming too much magnesium can typically cause diarrhea and nausea. Therefore it should be maintained for a healthy well being.
To maintain these levels in our body magnesium can be taken in the from various sources such as :
- Fruits like avocado ,banana ,kiwi ,raisins ,pomegranate ,mango.
- Vegetables like broccoli ,potatoes ,spinach ,corn ,peppers (green/red) ,carrots; green leafy vegetables such as spinach.
- Nuts and seeds like almonds, cashews, nuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds
- Grains like barley, buckwheat, brown rice, quinoa, and millet, brown rice, and oats.
- Legumes like kidney beans, black beans, black-eyed peas.
- Dairy products: Milk, Yogurt.
- Other food products like coconut milk, coconut water, soy milk, freshwater fish
Munching dry fruits as fillers between meals, having a banana, broccoli or buttermilk as a snack will ensure that your requirements for magnesium are met for the day.