PCOS is a very common female disorder nowadays. In Ayurveda, it is considered as ‘Artava Kshaya’. It is a condition where ovaries produce high amounts of male hormones called androgens resulting in an imbalance of the female hormone leading to anovulation and menstrual irregularity. Due to this imbalance, the body develops insulin resistance leading to weight gain.
This medical condition can cause long-term health issues in a female like dyslipidemia, heart diseases, infertility, type 2 diabetes, depression, thyroid disorders, and obesity.
Symptoms of PCOS
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Scanty or heavy menstrual flow
- Weight gain
- Acne on face or back
- Thinning and falling of hair
- Mood swings
- Hyperpigmentation of skin around the neck and armpits
- PCOS can cause infertility
- Thyroid disorders
- Type 2 diabetes
Herbs that help lose weight in PCOS
- Triphala: it’s quite effective in managing insulin resistance and obesity. Triphala acts as an appetizer, hypoglycemia, and anti-inflammatory agent.
- Guggulu: it is potent in clearing out toxins in the body. It improves the gut function and the absorption of food. It’s effective in balancing Kapha. The bitter, astringent, and pungent taste helps in burning the belly fat. Helps in balancing hormones.
- Chitraka: Chitrak helps to reduce fat accumulation because of its Deepan (appetizer) and Pachan (digestive) properties. It also helps to manage constipation due to its Rechana (laxative) property, thereby managing Obesity. Chitrak root is beneficial in managing diabetes. It lowers blood glucose levels by enhancing insulin secretion due to its anti-diabetic and antioxidant properties. Chitrak also reduces the blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels and thereby, helps in weight loss. It also aids in reducing anxiety and calming the brain activity as it suppresses the central nervous system due to its relaxant properties.
- Shatavari: Shatavari has been used for centuries as a hormone balancer and a general tonic to uplift female health and libido. This is an adaptogenic herb that not only relieves one from emotional or physical stress, but it also helps in managing diabetes mellitus, prevents dyslipidemia, and helps in the treatment of bacterial and fungal infections, edema or water retention, infertility, depression, cancer, etc.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon contains an ingredient called cinnamaldehyde, which has been shown to increase progesterone and lower androgens like testosterone and DHEA. Can Be Used As A Home Remedy for PCOS Acne. Acne is basically an external reflection of the inflammation that is occurring within the body.So, cinnamon is a great way to naturally lower internal inflammation and support healthy skin.
- Fenugreek: This particular kitchen herb is very powerful and filled with many health benefits. For instance, it’s rich in the minerals magnesium, selenium, copper, zinc, calcium, manganese, potassium, and selenium, and contains vitamins A and C, thiamin, folic acid, riboflavin, pyridoxine (vitamin B6), and niacin. It may also help lower cholesterol, aid weight loss, and promote healthy heart functioning.
- Turmeric: Its medicinal properties are of great relief to women. It helps in improving insulin resistance, detoxifying the female reproductive system, eliminating acne.
- Asoka: Ashoka is rich in anti-inflammatory compounds. It is very helpful in repairing the endometrium, healing the damage caused by many factors to the sensitive lining. It is effective in regulating estrogen levels. It also has anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties which help in protecting the urinary tract from bacterial and fungal infections.
Photo by Igor Miske on Unsplash