Joint pain is the most recurrent types of pain in winters and is associated with different types of arthritis. The main cause may be trauma or acute or chronic arthritis. Joint pain occurs due to the disturbed functioning of joints ranging from restricted movement to disability. There are various types of joint pains i.e. osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis & gout. Among these, osteoarthritis is the most common affecting more than 90% of the population by the age of 65 years. The joint pain is accompanied by symptoms like instability and stiffness during winters. Ayurveda is very helpful since ages for the treatment of joint pain as herbs always offer beneficial treatment in these pains. They not only treat the problem but also configure the cause behind it.
Herbs to reduce joint pain:
There are several herbs which act as the beneficiary in relieving joint pain during winters:
- Dashmool: It is a herbal preparation to treat Vata ailments. It has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, analgesic and sedative properties to treat joint pain. It is available in the form of oil, powder and decoction (kwath), it is effective in the inflammatory condition in the body due to Vata Rog. Regular usage of Dashmool kwath (decoction) twice a day strengthen your body and reduces joint pain.
- Shallaki: It is the herb which is known to be effective for reducing pain, diminishes the swelling and increases the mobility of joints. It is available in the form of essential oils and powder. This is mostly used from ancient time as a painkiller in chronic joint pain.
- Carom Seeds (Ajwain): It acts as a natural aid for treating the joint pain during winters due to the presence of anti-inflammatory and anti-anaesthetic properties. A paste of crushed seeds is applied to the affected area to relieve the pain.
- Ginger: It is the most common spice consumed in every household. Its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties help to reduce pain and swelling of the joints. It has the healing and heating effect on affected areas due to its increased blood circulation properties. This can be useful on externally as paste form or can be internally taken with tea or tulsi infusion.
- Nirgundi: This plant has potent anti-inflammatory, anti-convulsing and antioxidant properties which help in relieving joint pain and reducing swelling. It can be applied in the form of paste on the joints and can be taken in form of decoction. Leaves, seeds and stem all three parts are useful in joint pain.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is an effective anti-inflammatory herb and an effective pain reliever. It has two essential chemical compounds known as curcumin and curcuminoids which help in decreasing inflammation. The golden milk is a very good every home remedy to increase immunity and suppress the pain of joints. It is also the most recommended remedy for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Rasna: Leaf and rhizome part of the plant is useful in therapeutic use. Paste form with rhizome is applied on joints to relieve pain. The decoction of 10-20 ml rhizome act as a blood purifier and pain reliever. This is firstmost herb prescribed by the physician in joint pain of arthritis and gout.
- Flax Seeds: Flaxseeds are enriched with omega -3 and very beneficial in boosting immunity and its anti-inflammatory action are supportive of joint pain. Regular intake of 1-2 tablespoon of flax seeds gives relief in arthritis.
- Liquorice (Mulethi): This act as natural corticosteroid thus play an anti-inflammatory role in the body and reduces joint pain. It increases the immunity and decreases the fatigue thus can be taken in decoction form or mixing in tea.