The composition of the gut microbiome, or organisms, varies from person to person and includes a variety of bacteria, fungi, and other microbes that live in the digestive system. Your body’s capacity to lose weight may be impacted by the bacteria in your intestines that aid in digestion and nutrient absorption.
The rate at which bacteria multiply, how effectively humans utilize food’s nutrients, and how rapidly carbs and fiber, in particular, break down into sugar, all of this affect the weight loss capability of a person.
We know that the gut microbiome plays an important role in weight management and can also influence response to weight loss interventions. These gut microbes influence energy metabolism by regulating glucose metabolism, appetite, and fat storage.
An Ayurvedic diet that is balanced and nutritious is an easy way to keep the gut healthy and lose weight.
Foods to Eat for a Healthy Gut to Lose Weight :
- Yogurt- contains a lot of bacteria cultures and enhances the immune system.
- Kefir- is a fermented drink that has probiotics. It is a non-dairy product made with coconut milk, rice milk, and coconut water. Good for lactose intolerant people.
- Kiwi- rich in fiber, helps digestion, and beneficial in protein digestion.
- Apple- contains a fiber known as pectin and has gut healing properties.
- Raddish- helps in the detoxification process of the liver and stomach
- Asparagus- is rich in prebiotics and inulin, and eases bowel movement and bloating issues.
- Buttermilk- contains lactic acid that helps in digestion and better gut health
Herbs and Seeds for Weight Loss and Gut Health:
- Garlic- is high in inulin and includes the functional fiber that provides the food to the good bacteria.
- Basil –helps in reducing gas and stomach cramps. Rich in vitamin A, C, K, E. It aids in intestinal calcium, iron, and magnesium and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Ginger- rich in Vit C, B potassium, and copper. Help in promoting circulation, and ease bloating and gas.
- Chia seeds- richest source of fiber, helps add bulk to the stool and act as a good laxative. Also nourishes gut health.
- Flaxseeds- are rich in antioxidants known as lignans and soluble fiber that improves digestion.
For good gut health and weight loss, avoid –
Processed- food very bad effect on health as it contains a lot of additives and preservatives that disturb the gut.
Milk- can be heavy for some people to digest better including fermented dairy products.
Artificial sweetener- enhances the good bacteria to pull energy from the food and turn it into fat. It also upsets our digestive system.
Also, cut down on animal fats, reduce stress, and avoid toxins.
Poor gut health leads to poor appetite, digestive issues(frequent loose stools, constipation, acidity, bloating), weight loss, skin problems (allergies, skin rash), stress, depression, anxiety, vitamin & mineral deficiencies, and autoimmune disease.
In case you are trying to lose weight but are not getting desired results, consult a doctor or a dietician. As a result, you will be able to lose weight by maintaining good gut health.
The Vedique Diet Programme by Dr. Shikha Sharma offers a balanced diet and meal plan that promotes a healthy gut and weight loss.