How to begin a Keto Diet? Keto Diet, is a myth or a fact?
A keto diet or a low carb diet is a way of eating a diet that is high in fat, moderate in protein, and low in carbohydrates. It ends the rollercoaster where the blood sugar elevates and crashes, allowing the body to burn the fat. The ketogenic diet is generally 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% of carbohydrates
There are different variations of low carb diet, and the keto diet is a special type of low carbohydrate diet with added characteristics. The number of carbohydrates will vary depending on your insulin tolerance level, but on average, these are the common numbers of carbs.
- Keto diet – A typical Keto diet in which you restrict your carbohydrates intake upto 25 grams, or sometimes up to 30 grams per day only.
- Low carb diet – Under 50g net carbs per day
- Moderate low carb diet – Under 100g net carbs per day
BENEFITS OF A LOW CARB OR KETO DIET
A Low carbohydrate or keto diets have numerous benefits, including:
- One can achieve weight loss
- Stable mood as well as better energy levels
- Blood sugar is managed
- Reduced food cravings
- Blood pressure is managed
- Higher good cholesterol
- Digestion system works well.
SOME EASY STEPS FOR HOW TO BEGIN A KETO DIET OR LOW CARB DIET
· RESTRICT CARBOHYDRATES.
Carbohydrates are the major restriction while doing or starting a keto diet. One needs to lower their carbs consumption per day, starting from less than 30-40 grams, then reaching a level of 20 grams carbs per day.
- Limit your protein intake. A low carbohydrate diet or a keto diet is not a high protein diet! Low carb is generally higher in protein than keto, but be careful with both. High protein diets can stress the kidneys in the longer run.
- Use fat as a lever. We’ve been taught to fear the fats, but fats could be managed if taken in an adequate amount. Both keto and low carb are high fat diets. Fat is our source of energy as well as satiety.
- Drink lots of water. This is especially crucial on a low carb or keto diet. Why? When you eat carbs, your body stores the extra carbs as glycogen in the liver, where they are bound to water molecules. Eating low carb depletes this glycogen in the body, which allows you to burn fat – but it also means you are storing less water, making it easier to get dehydrated, so one needs to drink lots of water.
The main difference between the low carb and keto diet is the macronutrient profile, but the types of foods you eat are mostly the same. These are the basics keto diet food list – Meat, eggs, fats, and veggies primarily.