Osteoporosis sounds like some remote disease, but in reality, it is very common, particularly in girls and women. So what is this condition?
Osteo ( Latin for bone ) porosis ( porous or thin bones), as the bones become fragile, the bone loses its strength and hence can break at the slightest fall. Osteoporosis is more common in women after menopause but can happen at any age and gender if the body is weak and malnourished. Some of the symptoms include memory loss, muscle spasms, depression, hallucinations and easy fracturing of the bones.
How Calcium-rich food helps in making our bones stronger?
Calcium is the most abundant mineral found in the human body and is necessary for overall nutrition and health. All calcium in the human body is present in bones and a very small portion is present in the bloodstream. Calcium plays a most important role in the growth and development of bones and teeth. It is required for the maintenance of skeletal structure and function. Other than this, calcium plays an important role in cell signaling (cell communication), blood clotting, muscle contraction, and nerve function. Deficiency of calcium affects all body parts such as resulting in weak nails, slower hair growth, and fragile skin.
Here are some calcium-rich foods to cure Osteoporosis :
- Milk: One of the best and cheapest sources of calcium is milk. 100g of milk gives almost 125 mg of calcium that makes it the best source of calcium. Make sure one must consume Organic milk. Adulterated milk can cause hormonal imbalance in the body.
- Cheese: The body absorbs the calcium in dairy products more easily than from plant-based sources. The best source of calcium is considered to be milk and its products.
- Ragi flour is one of the best non-dairy sources of calcium when compared to any other grains. According to the National Institute of Nutrition in India, 100 grams of Ragi contains 344 mg calcium
- Soy Beans: Soy products include white soybean, soy milk and Tofu (soy paneer). A cup of soybean is a good source of calcium.
- Til seeds Eating just 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds adds 88mg of calcium to a person’s diet.
- White Beans: They are light and creamy, these legumes are great sources of calcium and iron. They can be added to a pasta dish with veggies, or skip the chickpeas and make your own hummus with white beans.
- Dried Figs ( Anjeer ): These are used for a sweet treat. This dried fruit is a good source of antioxidants, fiber, and calcium as you can eat them as a midday snack, or you can turn these delicious dried fruits into a creamy jam.
- Almonds: Almonds are a very good source of calcium. Roasted almonds can be a handy snack for munching.
- Sunflower seeds-Single cup of sunflower seed kernels contains 109 mg of calcium.
- Prunes: Dehydrated prunes are excellent sources of calcium.
- Dates: Dates are a wonderful source of the bone-strengthening mineral along with being a potential powerhouse of energy.
- Ladyfinger: ladyfinger is a very common and useful vegetable as it is a very good source of calcium. Use it as a side dish along with your non-vegetarian dishes like chicken or any type of meat. This will increase the nutritional value of your meal helps in curing Osteoporosis.
- Green Leafy vegetables: Spinach ( palak), Mustard Greens ( sarson sag ) is also a good source of calcium. Consume it as cooked vegetables, or chapatti filling or spinach soup. They are combined with continental dishes, for example, Spinach can be combined into pasta dishes to give a good boost of calcium and other nutrients.
- Celery: It is also one of the sources of calcium. Combine celery with dishes and consume it as salads.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is also a good source of calcium. Include it in your diet as salads, as well as in the preparation of soups. It helps in maintaining weight as well.
For curing bone health or for healthy bones, we have a Joint Support Program. Order Now.