It’s a known fact that winters and immunity don’t share a very friendly relationship. As the temperature lowers down, our immunity also falls down and our body gets susceptible to infections and typical winter ailments like cough, cold and flu.
These issues can be caused due to the exposure of cold hair, as in this season there is an aggravation of Kapha and Vata. As a result, it can cause winter sickness like cold and cough.
Here are some tips and remedies that you can use to stay away from these issues and help to build your immunity to sustain the season.
Herb and home remedies should be taken in winter:
1. Tulsi ginger lemon tea: According to Ayurveda, ginger is considered to be one of the best remedies for cold. Add 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger, 5-6 tulsi leaves and 1 tsp of honey in warm water and have it 2-3 times a day.
2. Jaggery drink: Boil water, add half a teaspoon of cumin, black pepper, and jaggery to it. Consume this drink to reduce chest congestion caused by the cold.
3. Ayurvedic herbs and spices like ginger, long pepper, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric powder, etc. are highly beneficial to cure the cough.
4. In case of a chronic cough, you must have two tablespoons of Giloy Juice with water in the morning as it acts as an anti-allergic and helps in treating cough caused due to allergic reactions to pollution or pollen.
Tips to follow while you are suffering from cold and cough:
1 Drink lots of fluids: Aim for at least 8-10 glasses daily. Avoid sugary drinks, caffeine, which is a diuretic; and alcohol, which can suppress your immune system and dehydrate you.
2. Conduct Yoga Asanas: Try pranayama and stretching exercises to avoid chest congestion like anulom vilom and meditation
3. Inhale steam to relieve a stuffy nose: Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in a bowl of hot water. Cover your head and the bowl with a towel for a few minutes at a time
4. Warm sleep: Get proper sleep as enough sleep contributes to better immunity and decrease the aggravation of Vata.
5. Keep your body warm: your body should be kept warm especially feet, chest, throat, and head. By taking some small steps you can have healthy winters.
6. Things to be avoided: Cold drinks, ice cream, sweets, fried foods, milk products like cheese, cream, yogurt should not be taken.
7. Proper Diet Required: Bread, meats, nuts, and pastries are not good to be taken. It is good to take light and warm diets like boiled or steamed vegetables, vegetable soup, and fruits like papaya and apple. Spice teas and herbal teas are good.
Above mentioned are some of the tips, as a result of that helps you lead a healthy winter and can make your season warmer.