Flu is a viral infection of the nose and throat i.e, the upper respiratory tract. There are more than 200 different types of viruses that can cause the common cold which might lead to symptoms like running or blocked nose, sore throat, fever (occasionally), congestion’ sore throat’ cough or sneezing whereas flu is more contagious symptomatically.
As people with the flu can have high fever for several days with chills, dry cough, general body aches and pains along with headache and fatigue so there some tips you need to follow as mentioned under.
Some of the best ways to avoid cold and flu during the winters are :
- Practice good hygiene by washing hands regularly.
- Do Regular physical activity to improve your metabolism and immunity.
- Eat healthy nutritious foods that are rich in vitamin C and E include dark, leafy greens, citrus fruits, cauliflower, and sweet potatoes, almonds, beets, asparagus and avocado in the diet.
- Drink plenty of warm fluids that will help prevent dehydration and excess mucus formation.
- Gargle with saltwater- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt dissolved in a 1 glass of warm water and gargle it twice-thrice a day.
- Ginger and honey- ½ tsp ginger extract with 1tsp honey works as an anti-inflammatory.
- Cinnamon and black pepper- Coarsely powdered cinnamon bark. Boil about 20 gms in a glass of water, adding a pinch of black pepper powder and a teaspoonful of honey. Strain the decoction and drink it when hot.
- TULSI– It has immunomodulatory (to enhance immunity) and antitussive (relieves cough) properties that provide relief in the flu.
- TRIKATU– Trikatu is a combination of black pepper, ginger, and long pepper. It acts as an expectorant and decongestant.
- ASHWAGANDHA- it works like an adaptogen, which restores endurance, energy, and stamina one needs to fight the flu.
- SITOPALADI POWDER- 1tsp with honey twice a day helps in relieving upper respiratory congestion and bronchial conditions.
- MULETHI-Liquorice or mulethi helps in flu due to its expectorant and bronchodilator properties.