Sinusitis is a common complaint marked by inflammation and swelling of tissue lining sinuses. The individual may experience severe headache, heaviness, disturbed sleep and gastrointestinal conditions. As per Ayurveda, the main doshas affected in sinusitis is Kapha causes vitiation of Prana Vayu. It may also cause vitiation of the other two doshas, Vata and pitta.
Remedies helps in the management of sinus in winters :
1. Steam inhalation -Using steam is a simple and effective remedy that can help alleviate sinus pressure and headaches. The combination of moisture and warmth can soothe the irritation of the nasal passages and in some cases, may help clear up a stuffy nose.
2. Jalaneti also plays a vital role in treatment, it is practiced with the lukewarm saline water which is administered in nostrils with help of Jala neti pot. It helps in cleansing the nasal cavity, makes the nasal cavity bacteria-free and reduces inflammation in the local area.
3. Keep hydrating and warming yourself with other fluids such as herbal tea and lukewarm water. You can add dry ginger, black pepper, basil (tulsi) or jaggery to your tea. Ginger and basil have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It can help eject the phlegm from the throat.
4. Fenugreek seeds (Methi Dana ) has anti-inflammatory properties that help in the detoxification of mucous membranes. Add some fenugreek seeds in hot water and drink it two-three times a day. The heat and damp fenugreek seeds make the mucus thin, allowing it to get out of the system naturally and further opening the sinus cavities.
5. Putting 2 to 3 drops of mustard oil in the nostrils also helps you to release a clogged nose to a great extent. Lubrication of the nasal passages can relieve the irritation and sneezing. Lie on your back, face-up, with a pillow under your shoulders and your head tilted back, so your nostrils are facing the ceiling. Put 3 to 5 drops liquefied ghee or mustard oil in each nostril and gently sniff the oil upward into the nose. Nasya karma when done in morning and night (on an empty stomach and at least one hour before or after showering).
6. Unfiltered Apple cider vinegar also helps in congestion problems. Add a few drops of vinegar in hot water mixed with honey for loosening the deposited mucus.
7. Yoga and pranayama also help to clear nasal passages and can be effective for asthma and sinus treatments at home. For eg: Kapalbhati Pranayama helps to clear the respiratory passage. Bhastrika and Nadi Shodhan pranayama help in clearing congestion. Yoga asanas like Hastapadasana and Setu Bandhasana can also help combat nasal issues.