Cumin seeds (Jeera) is indeed a fruit but once dried becomes a seed. It is also known as caraway, jeera, shahi jeera, kala jeera. The cumin seed is known for its aroma and flavor that it adds to every recipe.
Mentioned below are the best health benefits of Cumin seeds:
- Regulates Digestion: Cumin is very helpful for digestion it contains Cuminaldehydeand thymol which helps in stimulating the glands that secrete bile enzymes and thus helps in facilitating the digestion of food.
- Promotes weight loss: Cumin seeds regularizes appetite and increase lipolysis, thus promoting weight loss procedure.
- Control Cholesterol Levels: The dried seeds of cumin have flavonoids so they inhibit lipid peroxidation which lowers down the bad cholesterol.
- Improves insulin sensitivity: It makes your body more sensitive to insulin and thus reduces your blood sugar levels in the long run.
- Make skin healthy: It contains antioxidants called apigenin and luteolin which keep the tiny free radicals that attack healthy cells from being successful and they help to keep the skin away from aging.
To Check For Adulteration
Sawdust is a common adulterant used. So add 1 tsp cumin seeds to a glass of water, the sawdust will float and the spice will sink in.
In the case of whole spice, grass seeds colored with Charcoal dust are also sold as cumin seeds. You can rub the cumin seeds into your palms if palms become black it shows adulteration.