Fruits are the best source of micro nutrients and some are loaded with benefits one of them is orange. It is full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Oranges are also very tasty and versatile, which is why it’s the largest used citrus fruit in the world.
Nutritious Facts about Oranges:
- Oranges contain vitamin C, thiamine, folate, potassium, high fiber content, phenolic, antioxidants such as carotenoid ( lycopene), citric acid, and also low glycemic index which means a diabetic person can also consume then in moderation without any harm.
- Orange is a low-calorie fruit it has no saturated fats or no amount of cholesterol but its rich in fiber which is called pectin it helps our colon as it acts as a laxative and protects our mucosa from damaging and saving us from toxins and cancer-causing chemicals it also binds the bile in the colon that reduces the cholesterol absorption.
- It’s a great source of vitamin c (48.5 gram per 100 grams), Vitamin c on its own is a very powerful antioxidant, it helps us to create resistance against various infections and harmful free radicals that in future can be a cause of cancer. Immunity is also increased from vitamin c which is much needed in these days from natural methods that are totally safe.
- Orange has a variety of phytochemicals (hesperetin, naringin, and naringenin) they have bioactive effect as an antioxidant so it works as increasing our immunity, free radical scavenging(anti-cancerous), anti-inflammatory properties and reduce oxidant injury to DNA
- Vitamin A is also there in oranges and there are other flavonoids as well it helps in maintaining healthy mucosa and skin promoting good eyesight and flavonoids helps to protect us from lung and oral cavities cancers
- Minerals like potassium and calcium in the fruits are also there in some quantities which are important for body fluids, control of heart rate, and blood pressure is also carried out from these minerals.
- Superfood for diabetics –orange is called a superfood for people suffering from diabetes fiber found in oranges may help to reduce the sugar level in people with type 1 diabetes mellitus and improve blood sugar levels ,lipid levels and insulin levels in people with types 2 diabetes. Weight can also be controlled and most of the time obesity is also a common cause for the disease.
- Orange and weight loss – Oranges help in weight loss as they are quite filling and rich in fiber but should be avoided to be taken as in form of juice as it will remove its fiber so best is to add it in a salad or to eat as a whole otherwise it would not be beneficial as we discussed above.