The classic soup is a mix of mostly raw vegetables (like cucumbers, radishes and spring onions), boiled potatoes, eggs and a cooked meat.
- 300 g fresh chicken
- 3 medium potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cucumbers, finely chopped
- 1 cup radishes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dill, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Few bay leaves and peppercorns
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups kefir or kvass
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the meat for 1 hr in a large soup pot with bay leaves, peppercorns, salt and pepper.
- After the meat is cooked and cooled, chop it into small cubes. Filter the meat stock through the cheesecloth or paper towel and set aside.
- Cook potatoes by baking them in aluminium foil with bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Peel and chop potatoes and combine them with the meat in a large mixing bowl.
- Boil eggs and cool them in ice water.
- Peel, chop and add them to the bowl with meat and potatoes.
- Then add cucumbers, radishes, green onion and herbs.
- Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the mixture into the serving bowl and pour over the meat stock just to cover it.
- Add a couple tablespoons of kefir to the serving bowl and garnish with the sour cream.