Kiwi is basically known as “Kiwi fruit” . It’s origin is from eastern China. Kiwi is a small power packed fruit with lots of nutritional benefits. It is known as the store house for several health benefits as it is loaded with vitamins, enzymes, fibre,antioxidants, Vitamin C, and potassium.
Kiwi is known for its incredible nutritional profile also which says each 100 gram of Kiwi consists of:-
Calories – 61 kcal
Fat – 0.5 g fat
Sodium – 3 mg
Carbohydrate – 15 g
Sugar – 9 g
Dietary Fibre – 3 g
Protein -0.8 g
Potassium – 312 mg
Kiwi has a positive effect in optimal functioning of our bodies such as :-
1. Heart health and manage blood pressure – Kiwi prevents blood clotting and manages the blood pressure by reducing the amount of fat in blood.The antioxidants ,potassium and its high content of vit C helps to regulate the blood pressure. So one should consume at least 1-2 kiwi a day.
2.Helps in digestion and Constipation – Kiwi contains a good amount of both soluble and insoluble fiber along with an enzyme which helps in proper breakdown of protein in the gut. It also has a mild laxative effect which keeps the gut healthy with good bowel movements.
3. Supports immune system – The high concentration of Vit C is a wonder for the immune system and it is responsible for the growth and repair of the tissues as it helps in healing infections, common cold ,flu,fight inflammation etc.
4. Helps in weight loss – Kiwi is considered as one of the best fruits if you are looking for healthy weight loss as it contains high amounts of water,good in fibre,and low in calories.
5. Regulates blood sugar levels – Kiwi is a low GI fruit so it can be used in regulating blood sugar levels and uneven blood sugar spikes.
6. Aids in prevention of iron deficiency anemia – Though it is not a major source of iron but with its nutritional profile of excellent source of Vit C it increases the iron absorption and aid in iron deficiency of anemia.
7. Cancer prevention- Kiwi helps in cancer prevention as it is antioxidant rich and helps to remove the free radicals from the body.
8. Healthy skin- As it is a good source of vit c it contributes to the production of collagen which is a key component in cells and organs including skin. Kiwi fruit contains a fair amount of Vitamin E which has the ability to protect the skin from sun damage. Learn more about Rainbow Nutrition for Balancing Chakars
How to incorporate Kiwi fruit in the regular diet – You can add kiwi in fruit salads / Smoothies/ add it in your morning breakfast with porridge / Eat kiwi as a mid morning or evening snack as a whole fruit.