Acnes are one problem which isn’t restricted to women but men and some teenagers are equal sufferers. It is a skin condition in which there is excess production of Sebum (oil) from the sebaceous glands leading to the blockage of hair follicles. It is common adolescence and hence known as Yauvanapidika in Ayurveda, yauvan means ‘adolescence’ and pidika means ‘pustules or papules’. The common areas of acne are the face, shoulder, and back as these areas are covered by sebaceous glands. Ayurveda offers effective solutions to skin and acne problems.
As per Ayurveda, the main cause of acne is aggravated digestive fire (Agni). This leads to an aggravation of Pitta Dosha and an imbalance of Vata and Kapha dosha. Pitta dosha further vitiates blood and fat tissues. Vitiated doshas produce toxins that block the microscopic pores of affected areas leading to pimple formation.
Remedies to prevent acne:
- Amla Juice: Drink Amla juice every day. Amla or Indian gooseberry is Ayurveda’s most effective herbs in treating skin issues. Fresh amla juice contains 20 times more VItamin-C than the orange juice. Vitamin-C is a natural antioxidant that protects you against the harmful effects of free radicals and prevents the formation of Acne. Amla removes excess sebum, fights acne-causing bacteria, prevents scar, and known as an elixir for your skin. Drink 20 ml amla juice in the early morning on an empty stomach.
- Tulsi leaves: Tulsi has wonderful anti-inflammatory and healing properties and is one of the best herbs to treat acne, pimples, and blemishes naturally. Crush fresh and clean tulsi leaves or juice can be massaged on the face. After massage for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with clean water.
- Honey: It helps to cure acne and has antimicrobial effects on skin too. Apply a drop of organic Honey on the pimples and rinse off after 5-10 minutes. Repeat this regularly for the best results.
- Turmeric powder: Turmeric has an antibacterial and antifungal property to prevent bacterial breakouts and pimples. It cleanses toxins from the pores and is anti-allergic in nature. Make a paste of turmeric powder with water and apply it on the skin or over the pimples. After 10-15 mins, rinse it off.
- Neem Leaves: Neem leaves also have an antibacterial and antifungal property and are the most popular Ayurvedic remedy for treating pimples. Making a paste of fresh neem leaves and applying it to the affected area, leaving it to dry and rinse off with cold water works wonders.
Follow the above-mentioned remedies and also make some dietary and lifestyle changes:
- Avoid spicy, oily, sour, and unprocessed foods.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables every day.
- Increase the use of herbs that have a cooling effect on our body like Fennel, Black Grapes, Indian gooseberry (Amla), Guduchi (Tinospora Cordifolia), and Aloe vera.
- Increase water intake up to about 8-10 glasses per day.
- Manage constipation well with Triphala or Isabgol.
- Avoid irritant cosmetics.
- Do not squeeze the acne lesions.
- Do (Virechana) Purgation once in 2-3 months to cleanse the internal system under the supervision of an Ayurveda Physician.